Topband: Turbo Wire for Beverages?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Turbo Wire for Beverages?
From: Jeff Wilson <jjw5257@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Topbanders,
I am planning a new temporary (seasonal) 160/80 phased Beverage compromise
array
(580ft long separated by 270ft).
I was in my local TSC Store (Canada) (Tractor Supply Co. in the USA) and saw
some interesting products on the electric fence shelf.
I was planning to use the Red Brand (USA) 17 gauge galvanized wire ($35 CDN for
1/4 mile or 80 rods long)  (1$ CDN = $0.95 USD)

The other, albeit more expensive option, were products from Gallagher (New
Zealand - they know sheep!) called Turbo Wire, available in 400m (1312ft)
spools
for $103 CDN or 200m for $57 CDN.  This consists of "9 highly conductive mixed
metal strands in a US-stabilized poly cord" (about 1/8 in diameter) that looks
very flexible and easy to unwind and re-wind at the end of the season.  This is
very desirable instead of struggling with galvanized wire.
The Turbo Wire states resistance of 130 ohm /km or 209 ohms/mile.

Another cheaper Gallagher product is Poly Wire, with 6 strands of stainless
steel in US-stabilized poly cord available in 500m (1640 ft) for $66 CDN or
200m
(656 ft) for $27 CDN.  Lots cheaper BUT the resistance is 6000 ohms/km or
10,000
ohms/mile.

These poly products look strong and should pull fairly snug.

My questions to the Beverage users out here is:

1.  Has anyone used Poly Wire or Turbo Wire for their temporary Beverages and
what effect.

2.  I plan to use the bucket of concrete method for my temporary supports,
using
2ft larger diameter center piece to hold 8 or 10ft PVC or ABS pipe supports.
What is the best material to use and what diameters should I use.

3.  What have you done to make a terminal resistor block that allows good
connection betwwen wire and ground rod, but allows easily replaceable resistors
(say at -20C on December 3th just before the ARRL 160M contest), after the
inevitable freak lighting storm in December or January) blows the terminal
resistor.

Any suggestions a greatly appreciated

73
Jeff, VE3CV (formerly VE3FRX)