Re: Topband: radials

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: radials
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:45:00 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Brendan,

You'll have an arcing problem if you lay chicken wire directly on radials with
no insulation.  You could avoid this if you bond the radials to the outer edge
of the chicken wire, but this is likely to be a tedious task.

I recommend installation of additional radials as time allows.  Approximately
60 radials is an excellent target.

My 160 meter 4-square array started with elevated radials, but subsequent
installation of sixty 1/4 wave radials laid on the ground under each vertical
was well worth the investment of time and money.

I drove through your town five years ago on my way from Clifden to Sligo.  I
hope to visit the west of Ireland again soon, its an extraordinary place.

73
Frank Donovan
W3LPL