Re: Topband: Russian Vacuum Variables on EBAY

To: <olinger@bellsouth.net>, <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Russian Vacuum Variables on EBAY
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:30:13 -0500

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vacuum-Variable-Capacitor-10-1200-pF-4kV-New-Box-/200563805228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb288cc2c#ht_2455wt_1139

> 73, Guy.
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> > I see some good prices on new Russian vacuum variables on EBAY.  Thinking
> > about getting several
> > for a vertical tuning unit I am planning.  Anyone bought vac vars from the
> > Russian EBAY vendors,
> > good results ?
> >
> > tnx es 73,
> > Bob
> > K6UJ

I've just looked at this auction listing, as well as visiting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260712022418&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2850wt_302

which is now closed.

The prices shown, plus shipping, are just a bit north and south of $200 for
these glass-encased capacitors.

On my desk is a Jennings CMV1-650-0005 that I cannot distinguish from new, and
it arrived here last week for $195, plus a nominal amount for shipping from
Marietta, GA, USA. Transit time via FedEx was 48 hours.   It is ceramic, less
fragile than glass, offering 8-650 pF @ 5kV. and with 10 turns' rotation
required for its min.-to-max. capacitance variation.  The 0.5-inch diameter
shaft came with a reducer to 0.25-inch diameter, mounted by the seller.
Fitting a 10-turn dial will be easy.

This gem will be set to about 255pF and then installed at the base of my 0.37
wavelength (85'up + 85' out) inverted L antenna where, aided by 44 in-ground
radials with an aggregate length of just under a mile, it will replace a large
"bread-slicer" capacitor and restore my 1.1:1 SWR reading.  I feel quite safe
that with such a generous breakdown voltage rating I shall have no problems
with my almost-always output power of five Watts, but I must give a bit of
thought to better protection from lightning damage.

This capacitor's seller is the well-known and long-established, MaxGain
Systems, whose principal I deem to be a worthy and reputable individual.  He
knows much more about vacuum variable capacitors than I can ever hope to learn,
and, in my estimation, he has the integrity to willingly settle fairly any
problem that might arise from a business dealing with his company.

Over the Christmas holiday I  read the The Economist of 11 December 2010, pages
29-32, "Briefing: The State of Russia", which I highly recommend, and from
which I now believe a likely consequence of my recent purchase to be my not
having dealt in stolen goods; nor did I worsen the US' balance of payments
deficit by adding to this country's substantial trade imbalance.

73 (or perhaps QRP-speak 72),

Charles, W2SH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK