Re: Topband: Asymmetric radials for GP antennas; Just in case others see

To: "Cormac Gebruers" <ei4hq.mail@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Asymmetric radials for GP antennas; Just in case others seek what I've just found...
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:17:00 -0400
Before I knew better, 30+ years ago, I had a 90' tower with 10-20 yagis
shunt fed on 160. It was about 40' from the road on the NE thru SW side so
many radials were very short and others ranged up to 120' long. The ground
was poor, consisting of deep sand  with just a thin layer of topsoil.

It worked fair but not well considering I was running 1200W. Most DX
contacts required waiting in a long line.

Then I realized about current being maximum starting from the base and I got
a bright idea. At the local garden center I picked up 5 rolls of "rabbit
fence" which were 2 x 4" welded and galvanized wire mesh coated in green
plastic and were 50 x 4'. I laid these down in a spoke, stripped back some
plastic, and soldered the ends to the ground ring at the tower with #12
copper wire. I also connected them together at the far end of the overlaps
with another ring.

After retuning the match that antenna kicked butt.

After a bit of grass seed and fertilizer it was completely out of the way of
the lawn tractor in a few months.

Carl
KM1H