Re: Topband: MA160V SWR/match

To: bryonveal@msn.com
Subject: Re: Topband: MA160V SWR/match
From: jcjacobsen@q.com
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 17:02:54 -0400 (EDT)
Paul N0AH, is having "fun" tuning his MA160V vertical antenna:

<snip>
Now, do I just use the Pro's III tuner or the Amidon UnUn to
minimize SWR at the feedpoint-

<snip>

Paul,
You could also try 10 or 12 turns of #12 or 14 gauge wire, 2" diam across the
feed point and ground.
Spread/compress the turns to get the lowest SWR/best match. It's fastest if you
have an antenna bridge/analyzer of some type. Your bandwidth will be rather
narrow but then you could touch it up with the tuner. This is what I do with a
H.B. 40 ft vert for 160/75/40. I go for the best macth on 160, and let the
other bands be. As long as the resonance is mid point of where I operate on all
three bands, everyone is happy: Rig/tuner/ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can usually wander
30 or 40 kc........ um, make that KHZ, each side of resonance without a lot of
problems. I'm no antenna Garu, so with that being said, YMMV.

73 and good luck with the project.

K9WN Jake
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK