Re: Topband: Fabricated common mode chokes - Sourcing

To: Lloyd Berg N9LB <lloydberg@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fabricated common mode chokes - Sourcing
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:21:38 -0400
Hi Lloyd,

Unless the type F material is far more effective than 31 material,
why pay $20 each? Mouser has the Fair-Rite 2.4" #31 core for $7
each. That is the lowest price I have found for small quantities and
is where I get mine. Part number 2631803802. Pay no mind to the
picture on the Mouser site - it's not correct.

73,
Paul N1BUG

On 08/29/2011 05:00 PM, Lloyd Berg N9LB wrote:
> Hi Tod!
>
> Thanks for the data.
> I'd like to build up several toroid chokes for 160, 80 and 40 meter use.
> I looked at the Fair-Rite site, no 31 material.
> I looked at their vendors and went to Amidon
> ...amidoncorp.com/items/19
>
> Amidon does have "F Material Ferrite Toroids"
> " High Saturation flux density at high temperature.
> For power conversion transfomers.
> Good noise suppression from 0.5 to 20 MHz."
>
> They offer an "F material" core:
> FT-240-FC ( $20.00  ea )
> Inner Diameter  1.4
> Outer Diameter  2.4
> Height  0.5
> Al Value 4107
>
> Is this material suitable or am I barking up the wrong tree?
>
> 73
>
> Lloyd - N9LB
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK