Re: Topband: 3C6A

To: <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, <k6xt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 3C6A
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 06:43:02 -0700
Several months ago, Eddy, in more of an act of frustration than anything, I
cited several hams, by call sign, on another reflector for blatant adherance to
the "non-DX code of conduct."  These two stations were heard in several pileups
simply blasting away, never...NEVER listening, it appeared...unbelievably "bad
form."

One fella wrote me back offering his "assistance" - he had crafted a "LID"
award certificate and was more than willing to send it to the "offenders" I'd
mentioned.  I said, "Hey. Go for it!  Works for me."

However, the PROBLEM is - this hand wringing and knashing of teeth over those
types of 'operators' ("operators" used loosely) doesn't do a thing for us - we
feel better, momentarily, LID certificates are sent and then...the next time
we're engaged in a pileup, you/I/"we" will find more......there just are too
many of 'em.

I hear 'em on all band and have resigned myself - particularly given that I'm
operting at QRP levels - to the fact that I've got to outsmart two groups of DX
chasers....the ones who abide by the "rules of conduct" AND the doofus types.
In short, and most often, that means I NEED to listen for both groups and pick
my transmitting frequency with great care (i.e., avoid the doofus types AND
understand where the DX station is listening, based on where I hear the calling
station that he/she is working).

I will say I did have an enjoyable, non-stressed time working VP6T on 160, QRP
--- simply 'cuz I happen to be listening on his QRG when he came on!  Hah...now
THAT was a stroke of luck, 'eh????

I'm sorta reminded by this little ditty, when the conversation regarding poor
operating styles picks up:  Life is hard....then you die!

72, ma Mon!  Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

> From: deswynar@xplornet.ca
> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:06:43 -0500
> To: k6xt@arrl.net
> CC: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: 3C6A
>

> On 2012-02-24, at 4:47 PM, k6xt wrote:
>
> > There's two sides to the DX Code of Conduct pictured on the site. One of
> > them is our side, the callers. The other is the DX side. Referring
> > especially to sticking with a partial call until its correct in the log, no
> > matter the jamming level. Often what we hear is the DX gives up and
> > moves on to one of the intentional QRM jammer incessant callers. A tactic
> > guaranteed to increase the incessant caller activity level.
>

> Hi Guys,
>
> A look back through my late 1920's issues of QST magazine reveals a monthly
> column entitled, I believe, "PREHISTORIC SIGNALS". Therein, for all to
> behold, were the specific call signs of stations heard during the previous
> month that had not pulled-up their bootstraps on the eve of newer, more
> stringent regulations from the then FCC regarding signal quality...
>
> These offenders were guilty of such things listed as "raw AC on signal",
> "extreme drift", "excessive chirp", etc. etc. etc. The idea, obviously, was
> that offenders so "outed" would be inspired (shamed is more like it!) to
> re-vamp their transmitters, bringing them up to the then "modern" standards.
>
> I wonder if a similar such list of "PREHISTORIC OPERATING STANDARDS" might be
> in order to-day?
>
> DX-pedition operators know the repeated callers, the out-of-turn callers,
> etc. only too well---as do those of us on this side of the pile-up. Does
> working these offenders not, effectively, REWARD their "prehistoric operating
> standards"? Would it, perhaps, be better for the organizers of such DX treks
> to publish the call signs of REPEAT offenders on their web site, for all to
> see (including, hopefully, the offenders themselves)...?
>
> I don't know what general consensus might be on such an idea, but it's
> apparent that whatever excellent codes of DX conduct exist in the printed
> form on-line, in the various Amateur publications, etc., they are completely
> & utterly lost upon a GROWING cadre of so-called "DX'ers". Perhaps the time
> is nigh to stop relying upon the "honour system" to elevate standards, and to
> instead, cite poor operating standards & etiquette in a public way...because
> things are hardly improving on the air, such as they are.
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK