Re: Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, takeoff angles etc

To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, takeoff angles etc
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:22:04 -0400
At the prior QTH the shunt fed tower with a 4 el 10-20M Christmas tree was
resonant at 1520KHz and worked "gangbusters". While this was only around
107* vs 90* I see no reason that a bit taller would work as well. The
question is at what point is too much? I do know the 2:1 BW was very narrow
but the last year I was there the ARRL 160M CW contest was won and a good
portion of the band was used. As usual no tuner was used, just a modified
amp pi net.

With the L including significant high angle it could be an excellent all
around antenna. If instead of an L a 2 wire top hat replaced it that high
angle is cancelled.

I need 2 antennas to cover high and low angles however at times even
somewhat locals tell me I have an aurora sound on the verticals. Under those
band conditions I do well into the auroral region and possibly by the very
low angle part of the signal running below the ionized layer and getting
less attenuation.

Gray line remains mysterious as at that prior QTH I was the first New
England station to work JA on 160 and worked 3 that morning with that 107*
vertical.

Now that its rather commonplace Ive done it more with the 180' high inverted
vee. Maybe its because the 2 elements are broadside to JA and the pattern is
a figure 8 with less gain than endfire.
Its all guesswork!

Carl
KM1H