Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:30:08 -0400
On 2012-10-01, at 8:17 PM, Mike Waters wrote:

> Nearly every time I have ever called CQ on top of a fishing beacon on 160
> --except the very weakest ones-- it disappeared. I assumed they changed
> frequency.
>
> I don't think it was a coincidence. I've heard others who had the same
> experience.

Hi Mike,

I've noticed that very same thing here myself, more often than not (certainly
not in ALL cases, though): it's like they're somehow programmed to shift to
another frequency if there's any interference to the one that they're on.

I don't know if they're that sophisticated, or not. Certainly the fishermen who
listen for these things would have to be savvy as to frequency agility...which
leads me to ask, are they somehow CW-literate, too...? VERY doubtful on BOTH
counts! Most likely the receive technology is somehow automatic, & a machine
does all of the "de-coding" for them...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CI - VE3XZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK