Topband: ROD NEWKIRK, W9BRD/VA3ZBB SK

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ROD NEWKIRK, W9BRD/VA3ZBB SK
From: Bert Barry <bertbarry@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:22:59 -0500
I have just learned this morning that Rod Newkirk, VA3ZBB/W9BRD died last night.

Old time DX'ers will remember the column "How's DX - by Rod Newkirk W9BRD" which appeared monthly since some time in the 1940's until the 1970's.

About 20 years or so ago on 40m CW, Rod, W9BRD worked Betty, VE3ZBB. Skeds followed. Then letters. Then visits. Then marriage, and a move to Ottawa for Rod where he has lived for about 20 years, obtaining the call VA3ZBB. He also retained his old call W9BRD.

Rod has been in poor health and living in a constant-care facility for several years, with daily visits by Betty. They were a great couple, and regularly attended our weekly QCWA breakfasts for many years. We will miss him!

Bert, VE3QAA