Topband: buried radials vs radials on the ground

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: buried radials vs radials on the ground
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 15:48:09 -0500
I had always understood that because of coupling, radials laid on the ground were functionally the same on top-band as those buried a few inches. Recently, some experimentation with Beverage on ground antennas has me doubting that.

It's been suggested that elevated radials need to be resonated, like very low dipoles. Is that true with radials-on-ground, but with a much-different velocity factor?

Trying to relate efforts to results for radials on a tower in thick woods, where only radial ON ground are possible, what would be my best return on effort deploying, say, 1000 feet of wire? 4 longer elevated radials (resonated?) or 10 shorter radials on ground (unresonated).

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at