Re: Topband: PE coated RG6

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: Topband: PE coated RG6
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:26:29 -0800 (PST)
Just completed cables for an active receive 4 square with Commscope PE jacketed
flooded RG6  (660-BEF), 1000' on ebay for $35.  I used the "weathertight"
compression fittings and a Radio Shack stepped prep cutter.  RS has the tools
cheap.  Extra care is needed to remove the braid shards since the flooding goop
causes them to stick to everything.  It is also a challenge to push the cable
far enough into the connector, next time I'll try the heat gun idea.  I found
trimming the braid away with a flush cutting wire snipper was helpful, but
still
have pretty sore hands.

Grant KZ1W

Grant,

Did you use the screw-on tool from RS to push the connectors on the RG6?
It sure makes it a lot easier. I use only the crimp style connectors.

73 Price W0RI