Re: Topband: Strange Condx

To: "'Herb Krumich'" <wa2fgk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange Condx
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:17:38 -0500
Hi, Herb!

Yes - and sometimes the daytime noise level will be a bit lower on 160 and
then pick up as the grey line and then darkness move over us!  And I can
sympathize with those Europeans - and  being in the city, where my inverted
L with the three resonant elevated radials has been somewhat maligned here
(it's down now because a bad storm/hurricane tilted the tree that was
supporting the far end of the flat top portion and we had to take it down
with a crane), I generally found that, if I could hear them, I could work
them! My problem was hearing!! BEST thing I EVER did for myself on 160 and
80 was to build a modest size "KAZ" terminated receiving loop that I ran
through an old AMECO preamp into the receive antenna port on the FT-1000MP.
Suddenly I could HEAR stations that I just couldn't tell were there or make
out when copying on the Inverted L or my quad. Beverages are completely out
of the question for me. The loop worked great on 80 also and was a really
good receiving antenna for 40 and 30 also.

I need to relocate and rearrange my inverted L. Thank heavens it wasn't
being operated against a buried radial field!! J

I hope  you and yours have a wonderful Christmas, Herb!!

Best regards,

Charlie, K4OTV