Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center con

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Measured RG-6 Loss: Solid Copper vs. Copper Clad center conductor
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:26:39 -0500 (EST)
Several topbanders asked if I would measure the DC resistance of the solid
copper and copper clad steel center conductors of the RG-6 coax for which I
published the RF loss measurements.  I also measured the quad-shield DC
resistance, both cables measured the same.

Here are my measurement results:

Solid copper:       0.6 ohms per 100 feet
Copper clad steel:  1.9 ohms per 100 feet
Quad shield:        0.3 ohms per 100 feet

It appears that copper clad steel RG-6 is a good choice for remote powered
preamps and relays except for very long cable runs.

When using a remotely powered device its extremely important to prevent even
the slightest moisture entry.  RG-6 compression connectors are NOT waterproofed
at the threaded end of the connector, additional waterproofing is absolutely
essential.

The Thomas & Betts NS500 Nut Seal costs only a few cents and it very
effectively waterproofs the connector threads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LRC-AUGAT-THOMAS-BETTS-NS-500-NUT-SEAL-50-LOT-/160703026841

The inside of the connector should be stuffed with STUF Di-Electric Filler to
prevent moisture accumulation from condensation.  The finished connection
should first be wrapped with electrical tape, then a final layer of
waterproofing should be applied such as Coax-Seal moldable tape.

73
Frank
W3LPL