Re: Topband: Help With First 80M 4-Square

To: Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Help With First 80M 4-Square
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 18:54:37 -0600
Hi Wayne:

Instead of self-supporting elements for my 4-square, I used rope-supported wire
elements hung from the top of my 120 foot tower. I used 4x4 posts in concrete
to support the base of each vertical element and Budwig connectors to solder
the vertical elements on the center conductor and a copper split bolt to attach
a Copperweld radial to end metal fence posts. The radial is actually two
radials attached at the center to the Budwig connector. This gives two elevated
radials for each vertical (and act as guys to support the vertical). I ordered
the 75-ohm coax feeds with bead baluns from DX Engineering and use a Comtek box
mounted on the tower. The dump dummy load is sitting in the box that houses the
vacuum variable capacitors for the tower shunt feed for 160M. It all works
extremely well here.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Sent from my iPad