Re: Topband: W1BB (NOT K1BB, whoever that is)

To: w8ji@w8ji.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: W1BB (NOT K1BB, whoever that is)
From: K8MFO--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 12:52:04 -0500
Tom:

I'm sure you also remember Waldo - W8ANO in Grafton, OH,  active on  the
air from 1915 - 2002.    Waldo was one of the first to make  160 WAC, as a
result of working ZC4AK in  Cyprus.       Roger - VE3ZI told me that when he
was in 5Z4 land a long time ago, Waldo was as loud as anyone from the USA.

Waldo had a 80 foot telephone pole in his backyard, with 600 ohm open wire
line feeding a wire that could be used either as a dipole or  T.   Of
course he had a good set of radials underneath the  pole.

Waldo and Willie - W8GDQ were close pals.    One day 90 year  old Waldo
went to visit 80 year old Willie.    Willie told Waldo  that one of the top guy
wires on his 100 foot tower needed replacing, and he was  worried his tower
could come down..    Waldo quickly climbed the  tower and replaced the guy
wire!   To use an old term, Waldo was "as  tough as a nickel steak" ..

I feel very fortunate to have known both ANO and GDQ  ...    Just like
working DX on Top Band,  "LISTENING" to them brought many  rewards!

W2IU was also an old Ohio guy, originally licensed as W8JA in  Wooster.
Whenever Sam hit his key back in the 20s and 30s, he could  energize his
neighborhood!

73

Don K8MFO

In a message dated 1/6/2016 2:14:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,