Re: Topband: Detuning Relay Flyback Diode

To: Brad Denison <brad.denison@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning Relay Flyback Diode
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 11:05:31 -0500
Whether a flyback diode is needed depends on what is driving the relay and
whether it needs snubbing.

Adding a flyback diode substantially lengthens the time it takes a relay to
open, which may or may not be an issue. What was a 6ms relay will become
several times longer on open. There are better snubbing networks to use if
you are time sensitive.

If the radio is keying both the detuning relay and an amp, you want to use
some series diodes to prevent sneak paths between amp key voltage and your
detuning relay voltage. These isolation diodes do not add any delays.

Tim N3QE