Re: Topband: Supporting Ladder line

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Supporting Ladder line
From: "VK3HJ" <vk3hj_luke@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 00:59:27 +1100
I'm in the process of setting up three switched two-direction Beverages.

Since September, I have had a standard Beverage up with good results.

These are all 268 metres and use a pair of 2.5 mm diameter galvanised high tensile steel wires. This cost me about $170 for a 1500 metre coil.

Supports are 40 - 60 metres apart and use a pair of screw-in electric fence insulators, which let the wire slide. Wires are spaced about 40 mm, but so far I haven't bothered with intermediate spacers, as the wires seem to remain at that spacing even in the wind. I have mainly used treated pine poles to support the wires, but some places I have supported on trees. In the case of tree support, I have used a long coach screw with a pair of round porcelain electric fence insulators side-by-side. These give the required spacing, and the wire remains in place with a tie wire.

I tensioned the wires using a fencing strainer.

Wires are mostly at about 3 metres so the horses and I can walk under them, and are raised to 4-5 metres over laneways in case a fire truck needs to pass under.

73,

Luke VK3HJ