Re: Topband: Fwd: Re: Baker Island DXpedition on 160

To: Bruce <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: Re: Baker Island DXpedition on 160
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:39:33 -0400
Methinks hamdom underestimates 160 propagation in the summertime.

Working DX through QRN and having reduced opening time during summer, these
make working the DX irritating to the ears and inconvenient, but not
impossible. Even with no more than an inverted L, I still hit European RBN
later in the evening, and routinely hit west coast RBN that are not covered
with lightning strikes on Blitzortung. That's not so much my antenna, as
the fact that 160 is a lot more open in the summer than people think. If
there's no good reason to listen to all that QRN, or set an alarm to be on
the band in the narrow darkness hours, they won't be listening.

Was on in the CWOPS last night (June 14, Z) on 160m, between 03 and 04Z,
RBN spots included:

N7TR *
G3WW *
WA7LNW
WB6BEE *
VE6WZ *
GW8IZR *
VE7CC
3V/KF5EYY *
AC0C *

*multiple spots

That's coverage Vancouver to Reno in the west and the UK to Tunisia in the
east.  Not exactly my definition of a dead band. Sparse 160 population in
the summer is a habit ham radio has gotten into. Maybe we should put that
aside for the rest of the solar minimum.

We'll be watching for KH1...

Summer Stew Perry Saturday night.

73, Guy