Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning
From: "Ashraf Chaabane" <ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 14:33:28 +0000
Hi Mark, Peter,

The BC station to be used to minimize the back lobe would be in Egypt or Saoudi Arabia right on the back of my beverage antenna. That should offer signals coming well above 10deg (I presume!). Comment noted regarding how efficient that will be on 1820 kHz. I know Egypt has BC station on Medium Wave which isn't that far from 160m.

Frank,

I have two 3-feets rods at each end so far with two buried radials at the feed end. I will add radials at the termination side as well as you recommend.

For the sake of experimentation, I will play a bit with the termination resistor trying to flatten the SWR curve as much as possible, although, as many said, I shouldn't expect a noticeable improvement in reception.

Thank you all and those who wrote me in private. This generous technical support is needed for developing experience on 160 among 3V hams (mostly youngsters). I hope we will be ready with strong 100W signals this winter!

73 from Tunisia

Ash 3V8SS/KF5EYY
www.kf5eyy.info