Re: Topband: Summer Stew Perry

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Summer Stew Perry
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 07:18:25 -0400
Hi Rick and gang,

The biggest problem with the band in the summer in the Midwest USA is high
QRN level from lightning.  As an example during the Stew Perry contest this
past weekend our noise floor during hours of darkness in Indiana was
running 20 to 30 dB above our normal noise floor due to lightning which
made it impossible to hear EU if you were just using simple RX antennas
such as EWEs or Tuned Loops, etc.

It's the high QRN level during the summer months in the Midwest US that
causes most of us to disappear from 160 meter activity until the lightning
subsides in Fall which is typically sometime in October.

You (N6RK) as well as K7RAT had nice signals into Indiana during the Stew
Perry contest, and it was great to get both of you into the log as I was
only running 100 watts and using small pennant RX antennas.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)