Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground help?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground help?
From: fmoeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:37:24 -0500
I was under the impression that If you have elevated radials and if you take
even one to the ground you might as well move all to the ground..??Fred KB4QZH
-------- Original message --------From: donovanf@erols.com Date: 12/29/20
12:30 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated
Radials - will radials on ground help? Hi Clive, A second resonant radial is a
good idea, but not because it might cancel horizontally polarized radiation.
Why? Because -- just like a Beverage -- a horizontal wire close to the ground
has no significant horizontally polarized radiation. Essentially all of the
horizontally polarized radiation is lost to ground losses. 73 Frank W3LPL -----
Original Message -----From: clive@gm3poi.com To: donovanf@erols.com,
topband@contesting.com Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 5:25:05 PM Subject: RE:
Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground help? Frank what about
adding another radial to each vertical to cancel the Horizontal polarisation
from the single radial. 73 Clive GM3POI -----Original Message----- From:
Topband <topband-bounces+clive=gm3poi.com@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
donovanf@erols.com Sent: 29 December 2020 17:01 To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground help? Hi Dan,
Your small lot is an ideal candidate for K2AV's folded counterpoise. Contact
K2AV for guidance, he's helped countless successful users. www.k2av.com A few
clarifications regarding radials and gain: Radials have absolutely nothing to
do with gain. They only reduce ground losses within a fraction of a wavelength
of the antenna. The realistic opportunities to further reduce losses are: -
install the antenna on salt march like K3ZM and W1KM, or - install the antenna
closer than one mile to sea water in the foreground of the antenna for at least
a few miles in the most important directions. But you've already done that.
Bravo! Good luck! 73 Frank W3LPL ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Flaig
NP2J" <dan@np2j.com> To: donovanf@erols.com Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020
4:41:40 PM Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground
help? On 2020-12-29 10:06, donovanf@erols.com wrote: > Hi Dan, > > An
inverted-L with one elevated radial has lots of room for > improvement, >
almost anything will improve what you now have. > > How much improvement you
can achieve is mostly determined by site > limitations, copper wire expense,
how much work you're able do > yourself or pay someone else to do for you. > >
Eight radials, 70 feet long is the absolute minimum number of radials > if you
lay them on the ground. Sixteen 80-foot radials will be much > better, > 32
100-radials will be significantly better than that. Finally 60 > 125-foot >
radials will be within one dB of the best you could achieve. > > This is the
classic reference: > > ncjweb.com/bonus-content/k3lcmaxgainradials.pdf > > If
you continue to use resonant elevated radials, four is the minimum > number
your should shoot for, but unfortunately its difficult to get > all > four
elevated radials to carry similar amounts of current. Eight > elevated >
radials is much better. > > The K2AV Folded counterpoise is another alternative
to your > current single elevated radial. > > Good luck! > > 73 > Frank > W3LPL
> > ------------------------- > > From: dan@np2j.com > To:
topband@contesting.com > Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 1:58:53 PM > Subject:
Topband: Elevated Radials - will radials on ground help? > > Hello fellow
Topbanders! > > Had lots of fun in the Stew, thanks for the contacts everyone!
> > Looking forward to the CQ160 and as always trying to find a way to >
improve antenna performance.... so looking for advice > > I am currently using
a pair of Inverted L's each having a single > elevated radial. > The
feedpoint's and elevated radials are 10-12 feet above ground. > The soil is
fairly rocky. > Also quite a bit of "Bush" growing fairly high except below
elevated > radials where I have trimmed back the bush. > > I am wondering if I
should lay radials on the ground, particulary near > > the feedpoint's? > Any
advice?? > > 73 > Dan K8RF/NP2J > _________________ > Searchable Archives:
http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband > Reflector Frank, Thanks for the
reply. My lot is narrow and runs North to South. The elevated radials run
towards the North, figured might have small amount of gain in that direction. I
could maybe add one or two additional elevated radials but they would be only
angled a few degrees plus or minus from the current single radial going North.
I am on side of ahill at abt 300 feet elevation about 3/4 of a mile from the
North shoreline. 73 Dan _________________ Searchable Archives: