Topband: Antenna rope through pulleys...

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Antenna rope through pulleys...
From: kliegle@myfairpoint.net
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:24:44 -0400

   If I think there might be an issue with the antenna rope jumping the pulley
and wedging itself between the pulley and the bracket that holds the pulley, I
drill a hole through both sides of the bracket and install a cotter pin, with
just enough room for the pulley to rotate. In the aviation world, it's called a
guard pin. It keeps the stainless steel flight control cables from jumping off
the pulley and jamming. (not a good thing!)

See the following image:
https://www.flight-mechanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2-74-768x463.jpg

   The larger the diameter the pulley, the easier it is to pully either a wire
or line through. I found the old pulleys from garage doors in the scrap yard
work VERY well! Just have to drill and install the guard pin. Plus I lube the
bearings/sleeve with marine grease before installing.

   With proper sizing of the pulley and antenna rope, there shouldn't be any
issue with the rope getting wedged. But the problem is they don't make many
large diameter pulleys for the small size antenna rope used. Hence my use of
old garage door pulleys that are made for small diameter cable and have large
diameter pulleys!

YMMV

73 Kriss KA1GJU