Wasps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Wasps
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 22:09:47 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Bill Fisher, KM9P wrote:

> So what do you guys do about wasps?  I jumped off of a 30' tower yesterday
> and tore up my knee trying to get away from them.
>
> I took a can of wasp spray up the tower and killed them.  In the process I
> got the spray all over myself.  Operated the entire NAQP smelling like hell
> and choking on the fumes.

I think one of the secrets is to wait until dark before hitting them with
the spray.  At night they are inactive and will all be in the nest.  Much
higher kill ratio.  The only problem is climbing at night.  Some big
floodlights might do the job.

Be very careful.  A few years ago I had some hornets removed
professionally  from the shack.  The exterminator mentioned that he was
very suprised that no one in my family got stumg.  He practically
guaranteed that I would end up in the hospital if I would have tried to
remove them myself.  By the way, the bee-man also said that those sprays
that shoot 30 feet are designed for outside use only.  They are very toxic
and the aerosol lingers for a long time.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________
(                    |   garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net   |Secretary/Treasurer/