Phylli

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Phylli
From: barry@w2up.wells.com (barry)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 96 17:33:17 EDT
Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:

> Hi Steve -- Shouldn't this discussion have a caveat?  The Loos gauge is
> designed for wire rope, which is probably close enough to EHS, but unless a
> calibration chart has been developed for Phillystran it's probably not at
> all accurate on that - I bet that it would show a Philly guy to be much less
> tight than it really is.
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
> n4zr@contesting.com

I performed a little experiment. I put the Loos tension gauge on my
Philly guy and noted the reading. I then put it on the 3/16 EHS tail
(about 15 ft long) on the same guy, and the reading was just about the
same. Since the two are in series, the tensions are equal.
My theory is that on a relatively tight guy (mine was about 350 lbs,
using the Loos chart), the difference in deformation is minmal. If the
tension was very low, and the guy was swiging in the breeze, then one
might expect a greater difference in the readings.

> LOUDER is gooder....

Is this what happens to one's English after moving to WVA? (sri, couldn't
resist)

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA
                            Packet Cluster: W2UP >WB2R (FRC)