T2XD rotor and the DCU-1 controler (HyGain)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: T2XD rotor and the DCU-1 controler (HyGain)
From: kebsch.pad@sni.de (Waldemar Kebsch)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 96 14:38:32 MDT
Hi,

for the clubstation of our local radioclub we have purchased from Hy Gain
the T2XD rotor and the DCU-1 (digital control unit). We have observed some
problems with the rotor resp. the DCU-1.

The positioning is very inexact. If you select the heading 270 deg. the
resulting heading might be between 260..280, if you are lucky. Very bad
is the situation, if you select a heading in the range of 0..90 deg..
To give you an example. Lets say you you have selected 45 deg., then the
reading on the pannel of the final heading might be 32 deg. but the real
heading of the antenna might be somewhere between 50 and 60 deg..

BTW: The center of rotation is 180 deg..

We have checked everything. All conntacts are OK and the cable has the
from Hy Gain recommended specification. It must be a problem with the
A/D-converter inside of the DCU-1 or with the potentiometer inside of
the rotor. Both parts (rotor and DCU-1) where brandnew, when we bought
them.

Who else has this type of rotor and control unit and has observed the
same or similar problems? Who has any idea how to fix it?

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Internet: kebsch.pad@sni.de,  PR: DK3VN @ DB0NOS.#NRW.DEU.EU
Big antennas high in the sky are better than small ones low!