TH6DXX Issues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TH6DXX Issues
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 08:52:01 -0600
Ladies and Gentlemen...

I just purchased a pristine TH6DXX for $150 dollars that included new trap
caps, and stainless hardware set still in the bag.  The beam has been in the
garage for the last ten years and was up in the air for about eight years.
I would like to know the following.

1.  What are people using now for a substitute to the BN86 balun?  I've
never like these baluns since they have a tendency to fry.

2.  Being a CW, RTTY and SSB operator, what is the best setting to use?  Low
Phone?

3.  Does Hy-Gain still sell the TH7 conversion for it?  I've done this once
back in the early 80s for $140 bucks.  But the thing broke in an ice storm
and I sold it off and got a smaller antenna.  This might answer qustion 2.

4.  I have a Ham III rotor which I have used before with the TH6.  I am
sending it off to have it reworked and a heavier brake installed.  I'm don't
want to mount the rotor ten foot down in the Rohn 25G tower like I did
before.  (The tower is 60 foot, guyes at 35 and 55 feet with a pointy-top.)
I had to cut the rung in the tower to fit it in, I don't want to do that
again.  Can the rotor be place high in the tower where it fits using a
shorter mast?  I do not plan to place a 40 meter beam ontop of the TH6.  I
plan to put up a small six meter beam and a KLM two meter beam for SSB and
CW.  The TH6 will be about 12 inches above the top of the "pointy-top" tower
section.  I know that some of you have placed the rotor ant the next section
down and used a thrust bearing where the rotor usually sits.  Comments on
the above would be appreiciated

Please respond directly to me, so minimum bandwidth is taken.

Thanks.

73
Lee
k0wa@southwind.net