Wind Load of Coax Against Tower Leg

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Wind Load of Coax Against Tower Leg
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 09:51:07 -0500 (EST)
On  8 Feb 97, K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com> wrote:

> > Also, if you only use one pair
> >(1/2" & 7/8") cable going up one tower leg you can add an additional
> >15.6 sq ft of attchments.  Those that sound reasonable?
>
>    That's my interpretation as well.

>Steve - I don't think this is quite correct. The load of the coax is
>spread across the whole tower height. If you want to be precise, this
>is an integral calculus problem (long erased from my brain cells,
>hi). I would think the 15.6 sq ft would be approximately correct at
>the halfway point. How this relates to load at the top is unclear to
>me, and not addressed by Rohn in the book.

Hi, Barry --

     What about my other statements?  I was hoping that someone would be able
to address the more esoteric forces and calculations of the cable vis-a-vis
tower load.  Not being an engineer I never knew the integral calculus to
forget it in the first place.  I'm sure that there are some fluid dynamics
involved or section modulus or other things that I don't even know about.

     Can anyone shed any light on this topic?  Inquiring minds want to know.

73,  Steve  K7LXC