[TowerTalk] Wire Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Yagis
From: ke1fo@dayton.akorn.net (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:28:04 +0000
I'm looking at putting up some wire yagis for 15M, 20M, and possibly 40M
over my spring break, and I'm looking for some suggestions.  Here are my
questions:

How many emements are people using, and if only 2 elements, are you
using a director or reflector.  Is it direction switchable?

How is the antenna suspended, between two supports, single support with
a boom and like an inverted V?  If you are using a boom, how are you
connecting the wire to the boom?

What wire guage are you using, or are you using a wire cage?

How is the antenna fed?

What is the element spacing?

Hare there any multiband wire yagi's out there?  like 15/20M on single
"boom"?  How are they fed?  Interactions between elements?

I appreciate your input, and I will summarize for the reflector.  I have
no antenna modelign software on my computer at present, or I would model
some designs.  I'm really looking for proven designs and field
experience.

Just for reference, these beams will be pointed just north of east at
eu/af.  I'm not looking for real sharp patterns, but maybe 2 element
antennas that will provide some gain without too narrow a beamwidth.  I
am not overly concerned with F/B ratio.  I have a freestanding crankup
tower I could use to mount them on at about 50 feet that has inverted
v's for 80M and a tribander at 70 feet, or I can get them up in the
trees between 35-50 feet.  The ground under the antennas slopes down
towards europe/africa for about 1 mile, a drop of 200-300 feet.

Thanks in advance.  Please reply direct and I will summarize for the
reflector.
--
Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries