[TowerTalk] Frozen Element Segments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Frozen Element Segments
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:34:16 -0500
Recently, the Johnson Space Center ARC repeater (146.04/64)
exhibited a high SWR condition.

We determined the problem to be in the antenna and since the
antenna (G7-144) was about 10 years old, decided to pop for a
new one and use the old one, once fixed, as a backup.

On checking the old antenna here at the house, I found a lot of
water in one of the white element sections.  Whoever assembled
the antenna put the element on upside-down, with the drainhole
at the top!

I've pretty much shaken out all the water I can.  I figure if I leave
it in the house where the a/c runs from time to time, it will
eventually dry out inside and the functionality of the section
will return to normal--I hope.

Now, here's my real problem:  That element (the white section)
screws together with the lower aluminum segment.

This joint has apparently frozen.

I have tried placing the aluminum section's hex fitting in a vise,
using channel locks on the adjacent hex fitting of the white
section to unscrew them, but to no avail.

I have tapped the channel lock handle with a hammer to try to
break the weld.  No good.

I have soaked the joint with Liquid Wrench and repeated
the above processes.  No effect.

Any ideas how to get these two pieces separated?

If the water in the white element segment dries out and the
antenna exhibits no problems (resonant where it is
supposed to be resonant), what is the problem if I simply
seal up the hole?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u