[TowerTalk] correct beam headings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] correct beam headings
From: locher@sonic.net (Bob Locher)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 22:46:14 -0400
I for one do believe it is important to get an antenna/rotor correctly
aimed. Yes, yagis do have some width in their pattern. But, often the
DX'er or contester wants to hit both say Africa and Europe, and might
point the antenna on a bearing splitting the difference.

The yagi pattern is such that some pretty good work can be done on both
sides of the lobe. But if you are off say 10 degrees, that can cut into
the results big time.

There really is no reason not to try to do it right. I think the easiest
way to do it is as was suggested by the Russian amateur whose call I
forget - line up two sticks on the north star at night, and then
translate it onto your rotor in daylight. The maximum error that way is
2 degrees.

73!

Bob W9KNI