[TowerTalk] Grammar, Scotch and Program Idiosyncrasies

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grammar, Scotch and Program Idiosyncrasies
From: kimo@lava.net (Kimo C. Chun)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 14:23:08 -1000 (HST)
Greetings:

Sorry to post another somewhat non-relevant message.

1. I guess I am one of those who gets a little picky on grammar. It is
   only because I am critical of mine and try to get better at it. A
   lifetime "Work in progress".

2. We are lucky out here in Hawaii that even the cheap vinyl stuff is
   okay so long as you cover it with good sealant. The tape ends up
   being more of a layer to keep the gunk from permeating every gap
   in the connectors so you can get it off later without trouble.

3. Maybe it's just my e-mail program (Eudora Lite on a Macintosh) but
   a handful of guys who post messages come out with one or two lines
   of text that run off the screen a foot to the right versus a vertical
   column of text that is easy to scroll down and read. Not to mention
   some with sentences that are just one or two words too long on each
   line and end up with their own line before a "carriage return" to
   the continuing sentence. Again, hard to read.

   With apologies,(refer to number 1), if you want people to read and
   not wince when they try to read your posting, please consider typing
   a slightly narrower line and manually carriage return to continue.
   This message is done this way and, hopefully, is not causing any grief.

   I am guessing that these people are just typing and letting the
   computer automatically linefeed and when a program that is not up to
   the standards of a full blown word processor displays it...bingo!
   The most recent being KN3C's postings (no offense - ganging up on you!)

   As my english teachers used to say to me, "If you want people to
   read what you write, then write it so they can read it."

   Otherwise...no big deal. Carry on! Thanks for your indulgence.

Aloha,

Kimo Chun, KH7U

kimo@lava.net
KH7U@contesting.com

P.S. Another problem with my program is the e-mail addresses listed on
the header for replies, etc., are in an italic font that sometimes makes
it hard to read (especially with some of the weird characters sometimes
used). It makes it hard to figure out who to send a reply to. Yes, some-
times you can't just use "Reply To" option on the computer. That's why
I type my e-mail address into the body. Do unto others.... :-)