[TowerTalk] (I bet this become a whole new thread) You are correct!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] (I bet this become a whole new thread) You are correct!
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
Given the choice of a rehash of coax sealing techniques or a discussion
of April Fool's articles, I vote for the latter and hereby weigh in...

Not too many years ago, when I was but a Novice, I read a QST article in
an April issue.  It purported to be a good way to reduce the losses of
tank circuits in TX outputs.  The "secret" was to take the primary tank
coil (high voltage and all) and put it on top of the mast!  It also
included directions about how you could use an antenna rotator to tune
the tank capacitor remotely.

At the time, it sure seemed to make sense to me.  But I am glad I didn't
try and take my transmitter apart and remote the 600 volt plate line up
the mast.  That's the really only "dangerous" April article I can recall
in the past 25 years or so (gee, I really sound like an OT...).  I vote
to keep the April articles as they are.  (I did find it especially
humorous recently when a well-respected ham mentioned at a hamfest the
issue of the satellite-catchers on the Space Shuttle from the April,
1997, CQ Magazine...AND NO ONE CHALLENGED HIM!)

And, for the record, I vote for Scotch 88 tape only on connectors...

73, Jim  N6IG