[TowerTalk] Rohn TB-3 Warning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB-3 Warning
From: edwoods@pbsac01.isp.pacbell.com (Woods, Eric D (pb-Edwoods))
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:44:00 -0800
OK, let me show my ignorance.   I thought that  the intent of a thrust
bearing on a tower was to take the vertical load off of the rotator.

Eric, K6GV
edwoods@pacbell.com

(just another EE who had to take Strength of Materials in his junior year)
  So, I was wondering how you came to the conclusion that the Rohn
TB3 bolts should not be relied upon to support the mast and antenna weight?
Just your own observation or did you read something from Rohn about this?  I
don't disagree with your conclusion, I just wonder if Rohn ever said
anything about using other clamps above and below the bearings to support
the weight.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com