[TowerTalk] Unterminated Beverages

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unterminated Beverages
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 13:31:51 -0600
Another good question Rod!

All of my Beverages are unterminated.  While I can hear JA's on 160 off
the
back of my 400 ft SE Beverage, a new bi-directional receiving antenna
(off center fed 525 ft wire) shows equal performance to the SE and a
noticable improvement to the NW.  My 800 ft East Beverage is
disappointing
when listening to the Pacific, primarily because the signals which are
not
copiable on my verticals are usually pretty weak to begin with and need
all the gain one can get.  It seems that few Pacific Island hoppers put
up
good antennas!  BTW, an EAST Beverage would be a nice addition to
your antenna farm.  Many of my east African/indian Ocean contacts on
160 and 80M would not have been possible without my east Beverage.

(W8JI reported once that a 500 ft unterminated  Beverage will show 6 dB
F/B)

de  Tom  N4KG