[TowerTalk] Climbing Alone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Alone
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Stephen Vinson)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:39:27 -0800
Hello group ...

I too have had to do alot of climbing alone.  I try to only do it on
certain projects.  I never set it up for heavy work.

I have also copied many of the suggestions.  We here have about 3 or 4
of us that will climb and help those others ground level hams.  I'm
still not free of the "fear of heights" as of yet.  I have added several
safety features to my tower and "NEVER" climb with out safety gear.  I
was once told that you must be willing to lock in and lean back in your
gear to even consider working at heights.  I always check my gear before
climbing and after I have locked in before letting go.

Several have suggested carrying radios aloft.  Only problem is carrying
an expensive dual band radio on a work climb was questionable ... $$$
We had an Icom Z1A fall 120' onto a concrete slab.  Surprising it was
repairable but not cheap.  I guess money can fix ALMOST anything.  We
have since gone to "disposable radios" ... the Alinco DJ-S41 with a VOX
headset is perfect.  We can talk to each other on low power and not
bother anyone and if needed go to high power (340mW) and get into the
repeaters.  We also use them to cross band repeat from vehicles.

Any way for well less than $100.00 per unit they are truly throw away
units if damaged (repairs beyond what we can do will run more than that
in labor).  And its safer to talk to instead of yelling at each other.
I have seen other units but none as inexpensive.  With these no one
should be without communications while on a tower.

And by the way ... my only involvement with Alinco is as a consumer.

We have a Great hobby ... Practice it with Safety!!!

Steve
KD4WIW
E-mail:   kd4wiw@ipass.net
Home Page:  http://www.ipass.net/~kd4wiw