[TowerTalk] "test" messages

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "test" messages
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:31:44 -0500
Sorry to clutter up the reflector with yet another post on this subject, but I
really can't let this go without responding. I think that under certain
circumstances it's completely appropriate to send test messages to the
reflector. In my case, I did so because the reflector appeared to be the
*cause* of the problem.

Somehow, an extra set of quotes was being added around my name in the From and
Reply addresses. The two symptoms were quotes around my name in the From field
(annoying but benign) and an "unknown sender" error message several people got
when trying to reply directly to messages I sent to the reflector. The latter
problem forced people to cut and paste my e-mail address from the message
header. Some said it was annoying enough that they wouldn't bother to reply to
me again. By the way, K7LXC was among the most vigorous complainers, and urged
me to do something about it (he didn't make any threats, of course.)

I began troubleshooting this by sending an e-mail directly to myself and
examining the header. The extra quotes were not there, my name appeared normal
in the From field, and there was no problem with the address formed for a
Reply. Then I tried sending test messages to several friends. In each case, the
quotes were not around my name and the recipients had no problem replying to
me. Therefore, it appeared that the problem was only cropping up in the
messages I sent through the Tower Talk reflector.

It turned out that the source of the problem was elsewhere. Evidently, my ISP
is using a third party's mail server and that server reformats the header
information incorrectly. The bad format did not show up in messages I sent to
myself because my ISP routed them directly back to me instead of through the
third-party server! The format problem did not show up in messages I sent to
friends because their e-mail packages were smart enough to strip out the
quotes. It turns out that only certain mail packages are vulnerable to the bad
format.

I finally tracked it down by doing a private test with another Towertalk
subscriber. This time, he sent my own e-mails back to me as attachments so I
could examine the headers myself. Fortunately, I was able to repeat the tests
through a different ISP, and that's how I nailed the problem. I sent one more
set of test messages, one from each ISP, to Towertalk to verify that the
problem had indeed been fixed (that might not have been strictly necessary, but
25 years of troubleshooting software have taught me not to make assumptions.)

I think this was a legitimate use of the reflector. It's important to me to be
able to send and receive correctly through the reflector, and I don't want to
annoy anyone with messages that are difficult to handle. Also, I think it is
sometimes appropriate for subscribers to ask each other if their messages are
readable (e.g., should I use HTML?, etc.) in order to ensure that we have the
highest level of compatibility possible. The rapid proliferation of dissimilar
e-mail packages and servers makes this imperative.

I apologize for taking up so much bandwidth with this issue. Hopefully, it is
more useful than the recent forays we've had into tower sexuality, True North,
Internet ripoffs, spam, etc. You will find me in the camp of persons who want
to see the content of this reflector tightly controlled, but I'm not intolerant
of OT postings if there's a legitimate reason.

73, Dick, WC1M