[TowerTalk] First Day of Spring viz GeoClock

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] First Day of Spring viz GeoClock
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:56:32 -0500
Hi Gang,

For those of you who are lucky enough to have a working copy of the
shareware program "GeoClock" and who haven't checked it lately.... I
urge you to open it tonight and see a rare sight that only happens
twice a year... the day night terminators are aligned vertically and
the sun is directly over the Equator. Of course you knew this was
called the Vernal Equinox in the Spring and the Autumnal Equinox in the
Fall. Then you also knew that if you lived anywhere on the Equator at
solar noon all shadows of telephone poles would disappear if they were
plumb and more or less the same goes for TOWERS.

Because of the alignment of the sun being perpendicular to the Earth's
axis, fresh eggs are supposed to be balanced on their "broad ends"
without falling over at the moment Spring arrives. (Nope!  I didn't
check it this year but it did work last year.)  YMMV. Nope! It doesn't
work with hard boiled or stale eggs.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with True North... but it is
cool if you know what's going on. Sorry, but I don't think any of this
will affect DX tonight or the way your towers are leaning.

As always... you are admonished to... "Have Fun!"

73,

Roger, K2JAS