[TowerTalk] Crankup towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:10:10 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-11 21:19:06 EDT, wa3gin@erols.com writes:

> I've heard that using stainless steel cable for crank-up towers is not
>  recommended. That
>  TRI-EX recommends against using stainless steel cable. Why would that
>  be? Is it because stainless steel is best suited for straight pull
>  stress rather than bends around pulleys and winches?

       I'm not sure of the reason for not using SS cable but I imagine there
are some issues with moving cables. Interesting question though.

      As far as I know, the crank-up manufacturers use 7x19 galvanized cables.
Whether this has to do with more than cost, I don't have the answer. Keep in
mind that everything is driven by cost.

>  Also, I've heard that putting grease on steel cable is a mistake because
>  it tends to keep moisture locked in the cable and promotes rotting from
>  the inside. I've been told that using light weight oil is a better
>  solution to retard rusting. It allows the cable to breath, allowing
>  moisture to evaporate while slowing the oxidation process....TRUE or
>  FALSE?

      TRUE. You want to use a penetrating-type oil for the reason you gave.
The cable manufacturers and crank-up manufacturers that I've talked to use and
recommend a product like PreLube 6. It's a special formulation for cable
lubrication and reduces friction between the strands as well as keeping
contaminants out of the cable. You can use it on your pulleys too. It's
available from Champion Radio Products (www.championradio.com).

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

Champion Radio Products