[TowerTalk] Published score reports

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Published score reports
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:14:25 -0400 (EDT)
Yep, some good points, Charles.  I've made similar points many times to
guys, particularly our members, when they are upset at having their
confirmed log not listed.  And it happens to someone, regadless of which
orgnization sponsors it, contest after contest.

A related point:  Some locals went on a Caribbean DXpedition, set a
record in their category, and were upset to not get more play in the
results (though they were listed and mentioned), and more accolades among
us locals as well.  I tried to praise their success, but also point out
that I had noticed that the person(s) who care most about how you did is
yourself.  Beyond that, a small group of your best buddies will notice,
and even they will tend to forget within a few weeks or months.  To
really make a mark and get noticed, you have to do well over and over and
over, for a period of years.  Recognition will build up over a course of
years...with the hardcore contesters noticing and remembering first.
Most people are just totally occupied with what they are doing
themselves...their own contest effort, the station they're building, or
repairs to their existing station, etc. to notice, past a certain point,
what others are doing.

Another case is being an operator at a multi-multi.  It's not your call
on the air and you may not get much recognition....people may even wonder
where you've disappeared to if they don't hear your call on the air for a
few years (because you're using someone else's call).  The ops at the
other multis may know, though...they'll say "Hey, who was your 80M op?"
etc., and of course the other ops at your own multi will know.  Beyond
that, very little recognition should be expected.

73 - Rich, KE3Q

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Charles H. Harpole wrote:

> So the score reports have been screwed up for several years????
> Sad, but
> one side benefit is that now we know what we should have always known and
> practiced:  play against yourself, u know your own scores over the years
> and can compare them to the newer scores u make.
> The foul ups kinda make winning in the magazines beside the point, but u
> can still "win" against yourself.  Solitare, anyone?
> K4VUD
>

> --

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q