[TowerTalk] Long Rotor Cable Run

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Long Rotor Cable Run
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:26:40 +0600
Jan, would recommend outdoor Romax (No. 10 size.)  I buried four
lengths of that to provide 12 conductors for two separate rotors.
I has worked very well for me.  The distance to the rotors at this
installation is 400 feet.  I am quite sure that it would serve your
purpose as well.  I actually added the extra 2 lengths not knowing
if I would ever use them but I subsequently did put in a TIC Rotor-
Ring and was very glad that I buried all four strands at the same
time.

I taped them together with Scotch 33 tape (mostly just to hold them
together while I laid them in the trench along with the hardline).
Outdoor Romax is made for direct burial and should not deteriorate.
My Romax has worked flawlessly for 6 years now and I expect it to
continue for many years to come.

I run the heavy duty rotor cable from the base of the tower up to
the 120 foot level where I have the TailTwister.  I have the motor
starting capacitor for the TailTwister mounted in a plastic NEMA box
attached to the tower at the base and connect it to the rotor via
the regular run of heavy duty rotor cable (up the tower).

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net