[TowerTalk] Loos

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loos
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 08:05:19 -0400
the Loos is a great tool for ensuring the same tension is on each guy.

as far as the "output" of readings being accurate - I personally (here he
goes again - open mouth insert foot) would doubt it is right on.

It only measures deflection of the guy wire, and to use an example of why I
do not think its calibration is accurate on EHS - imagine there is NO
tension on the guy...with the Loos you still get a reading due to the fact
that EHS is stiff...

Put the same Loos gauge on a piece of Philystran and you will get a
different reading since it is not as rigid.

What we need is someone [:-0] with a commercial tensioning meter and a Loos
gauge to give us a conversion graph to allow us to convert Loos gauge
readings to what they really represent when used on the following, if it
reads XX on the LOOS it is this much on:

3/16,

1/4

and

5/16

EHSes....

Steve....are you reading this?

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm