[TowerTalk] Several questions :-)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Several questions :-)
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:05:07 -0700
Barry Kutner wrote:

> I've had a 2-stack of TH7s up for about 4 years (40 and 76 ft). I've
> never seen a time when the lower is better. Generally, the stack is
> best, upper second, lower third. I've heard this "folklore" about the
> lower one being better, but have never seen it. Is it that the sunspots
> aren't back yet, my location (EPA, abt 70 miles from ocean), or
> something else?

The strong opinions on this topic seem to vary somewhat according
to location.

I've come to the general conclusion that here in SE Michigan,
greater heights are needed for some reason.  Antennas lower
than 40' on 10, 50' on 15, and 60' on 20 seem to be cosistently
poor performers.  Evidenced by having to always swing a higher
antenna south to crack even medium size SA pileups.

Hey, you don't suppose these opinions are a sinister plot to
keep us at the bottom of the pile, do you?

--
Steve Maki K8LX