[TowerTalk] Zoning approval

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Zoning approval
From: n0ss@socket.net (Tom Hammond)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:21:46 -0500
>I am seeking to get zoning approval/building permits for erecting a
>self-supporting tower.  Is there a site or a reference that someone can
>point me to so that I can study up for this?

>I don't know if I may get a "fight" or not, but would like to also be
>prepared in case I do.  I have read many stories of fights, some won and
>some lost, but need to know what my "real rights" may be.  Direct
>references to Utah or federal law, if applicable, would be helpful.

Go the tower mfr. and get ALL of their engineering and installation
data.  Find out from your City what THEY require with regard to the
installation.  And find out what steps (procedures) THEY are going
to take when you submit your request (e.g. notification of neighbors,
how many neighbors have to complain before they will turn the request
down).  Find out if there's an established maximum height that you
can install WITHOUT having to request a permit, or for which you may
obtain a waiver.  See if the City acknowledges the FCC 'protections'
for Amateur towers.

If things look bleak AND the City ignores the FCC protections, then,
start working to change the City.  We did it!  And won, about 10
years ago.  Now we (hams only) can install ANY tower, up to 70' tall,
with the top antenna up to 50' max. element length (which includes
'shorty-40' yagis' without having to obtain ANY permits, as long as
we follow the manufacturer's installation recommendations.

Good luck,

Tom Hammond   N0SS