[TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?
From: jrdavis@crnotes.collins.rockwell.com (Jeffrey R Davis)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:06:24 -0500

Hi TTians,

I'm facing a decision between two types of steel tubing for use as a mast.
My calculations indicate
that either would be sufficiently strong for my application, the issues
boil down to cost, availability, and maintainability.

Here's the matrix:

                    Choice 1          Choice 2
Strength (psi)        87,000           110,000
Galvanized               yes                no
Delivery           > 1 month         Immediate
Cost (delivered)        $439              $294

>From my point of view, Choice 2 is preferable except that it's not
galvanized. My questions:

1. Is rust protection necessary/desirable for high carbon steel?

2. If so, are there good, low maintenance alternatives to galvanizing that
   can be applied at home?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff - N0DY