[TowerTalk] Coax as radials??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax as radials??
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:08:22 -0400
> I received about 400 feet of TV cable Coax and would like to know how it
> would work as ground radials????? I have a Butternut antenna that uses
> radials.  I am having some yard work done and this would be a great time
> to get these in the ground. If Coax is not good to use what would be? What
> about bare copper as opposed to insulated wire??  Would there be a better
> use for the TV Coax????

Coax would work like any other wire. The only difference between
wires is life of the wire. You might read "stuff" about coax allowing
you to use shorter wire because of the velocity factor of the coax,
but that's absolute nonsense. Velocity factor doesn't mean a thing
for coax in a grounding application.

Bare copper is better for safety grounding, and perhaps a tiny bit
better for lightning, otherwise it makes no difference.

Unless you have a use for the coax as coax, use it for a ground.
Just remember you can't solder to aluminum easily.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com