[TowerTalk] Elevated vertical ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical ?
From: k7jj@home.com (Dave Earnest)
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 16:20:22 -0700
One of the drawbacks to going to full time RV'ing is no place for a beam
and a tower.

The RV resort I am living in for the next couple of years won't allow me
to put up my monster Force 12 ZR-3 vertical dipole. I am more or less
stuck with using verticals, only if mounted on the RV itself.

I am presently trying to get a screwdriver antenna to work on the RV as
well as it does on the pickup truck. I have acceptable SWR, but the
transceiver doesn not seem to be as "alive" in the RV. The RV has a
rubber roof and fibreglas skin.

I have the antenna mounted on it's base 6-ft above ground and insulated
from the mast. I have 1/4-wave radials for 20 and 40. I previously had
the antenna grounded at the top of the mast and the bottom of the 6-ft
mast to the frame of the trailer. I read something somewhere that the
antenna would see this mast as part of the antenna and that is why I
insulated the antenna. Basically, I have an elevated ground plane,
right?

I will get an s-9 signal in the truck, rush to the trailer and see the
same signal about s-3 or 4. Similar screwdriver antenna on the truck as
trailer.

Any one out there done any experimenting or had any success in getting
one of these birds to fly on an RV? I would appreciate your suggestions
or comments.

Dave Earnest, K7JJ
http://members.home.net/k7jj
http://members.home.net/hz1ab