No subject

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: ndavis@mail.vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:22:07 -0400
A "newbie question:"

My friend is in the process of upgrading his antenna system with a new
"big" beam and rotor. He has suggested I take 3 sections of Rohn 25G off
his hands and thus, put up a "real" antenna at my QTH (I'm "dipole bound"
at the moment). The idea has some appeal to me... The problem is that I
have no experience in towers...

My friend suggested I bracket the tower against my house. The bracket would
be between 11 and 15 feet up (based on where I locate the tower).  That
would leave about 15-20' of tower above the bracket.

My question, at this point, is pretty simple. Where can I go to learn more
about tower installation issues? Is there a "how-to" book somewhere that
talks about the stuff in layman's terms? I borrowed my friend's Rohn manual
but am really looking more for "text" than "tables!" I need to answer
practical questions like:
-- My house is wood frame construction. Will attaching the tower bracket to
the studs in the exterior wall frame or to the eve overhang be "strong
enough." (My area in the mountains of SW VA is a 70 MPH county.)
-- Is the 15'ish of tower above the bracket really "safe" without guys if I
put a small tribander on it? How much antenna could I use (loading wise)
since 30' height is not in the Rohn specs -- just take the 40' bracketed
specs as being very conservative for 30 feet??
-- Or even more simple: is the performance of a beam at 30' worth the
effort and $$ (compared to my dipole in a tree at a similar height)? Going
higher than that would not endear me to my neighbors!

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

73
Nat Davis
N4EL