[TowerTalk] Summary of Bead balun Enclosure Responses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Summary of Bead balun Enclosure Responses
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond - N0SS)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:22:35 -0500
George (VE3YV) wrote, regarding bead balun construction:

>An interesting variation was one suggestion to use a PVC enclosure,
>but wrap the beads with tape to keep them in place in case they
>shatter due to heat stress.

I wonder... if the beads have shattered due to (internal) heat stress,
would it be safe to assume that they've also lost all of their RF
absorbtive properties as well?  Not because they're in pieces, but
because of the excessive heating?

Anyone with real knowledge (as opposed to sheer conjecture) on this
subject care to comment.

And if so, are there larger (heavier duty) beads available which might
be better choices than those many of us now use?

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS