[TowerTalk] Rohn Catalog Info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Catalog Info
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 02:37:21 -0800
I would like to suggest that you can take this "do what the
manufacturer says" stuff too far sometimes.  Take for
example what the Rohn Catalog says on Drawing A810214R5
about Foundation and Anchor Tolerances.  It CLEARLY says on
ALL FOUNDATONS that the concrete dimensions are spec'd at
"Plus or Minus 1" (25 mm)".  Notice that it says "PLUS or
minus".  This means that if you dig your hole more than one
inch too large, you are out of spec and NOT doing what the
manufacturer says!  It also says the DEPTH of the foundation
is to be within "Plus 3" or Minus 0".  I can understand the
"minus 0" part, but "Plus 3"?  This means if you put it 4
inches too deep, you are again out of spec and not doing
what the manufacturer says!

So, it appears to me, there are times when you can ignore
SOME of what the manufacturer says and be perfectly safe in
doing it.  You just have to know what you can ignore and
what you can't ignore.  Common sense does not always get the
right answer, either.  In fact, common sense is really not
all that common.  There is NO SUBSTITUTE for a qualified PE
designing your installation.  (KR7X is a qualified PE.  Pay
attention to his comments . . . )

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com